Original Thayer Library Restoration

The building, constructed in 1874 as the original Thayer Library, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and served as the Town’s library for 75 years before being closed in 1953. The now vacant structure, which served as the Water and Sewer Department until 2005, is one of the principal anchors of the Town Center Local Historic District established in 1980. The building itself is a superb example of the Renaissance Revival style with robust architectural detailing. The structure and land surrounding the building are now subject to a Preservation Restriction Agreement with the Commonwealth.